Midterm Assignment


 

Exposure Control 

 

Student Name: Euphemia Agbaw-Ebai 

Student Number: B00125770 





Image 1

                      Shutter 1/1600. Aperture F/14. ISO 6400. 34mm.

 
This is the picture I chose for differential focus. It is the end of a sulking branch of a tree. My aim was to focus the leaves closest to me and blur the background. In other words have a low depth of field. I think this picture came out really good. The focused part of the plant came out clear. It was isolated in its space and surrounding which probably made it easier to come out with a blur in the background. I had multiple attempts . I had switched to the aperture priority mode on the camera to see what camera the setting would give me for the shutter speed. I then found it easier adjusting the settings in manual mode. While taking shots, I moved closer and further away from the subject. I found that I got better shots being closer to the subject.




Image 2 
                          Shutter 1/60. Aperture F/5.6. ISO 800. 29mm.

This is a picture of a lemon being thrown into a bowl of water. An example for creative use of shutter speed. My aim was to capture the motion of the lemon. You can tell the lemon was in motion because it is blurry and everything else about the picture is clear. This was very challenging. I had to use slow shutter speeds. This meant I had to keep the camera as still as possible as the shutter took longer to shut. It took me many attempts. Most came out blurry due to my shaky hands. You can tell from the splashes of water I have tried many times. I had to crouch down. I tried leaning the camera on my knees but I found it harder to take pictures that way. The more shots I took the less harder it became . I was getting better at keeping the camera still. 




Image 3
                      Shutter 1/640. Aperture F/16. ISO 800. 34mm.

This is an image I took considering the rule of thirds. In this photo I am more focused on the sky than the actual landscape. I was drawn to the clearness and beauty of the blue sky and wanted to show that. It was a bright day when I took this so I had to make sure the brightness of the photo was balanced. I played around mostly with the aperture and priority mode on the camera to see what numbers it would set for each of them. I would then experiment with the settings in manual mode as I preferred. I had to stand far away to get a good balance of the sky and landscape. In some of the shots I took you could see the colour of the landscape more which was predominantly green. However, in this one, I love the underexposed aesthetic of the landscape.




Image 4
                    Shutter 1/100. Aperture F/6.3. ISO 400. 32mm.

This is a picture of a cup of toothpicks. I think this photo portrays simplicity. It was taken on a marble counter in my kitchen. The photo is very simple yet I believe the essence of it tells a lot about the people who live in the house. I think the shape and how compact the end of the toothpicks look together looks really cool and adds character to the photo. The photo is simple yet there's a lot of eye catching detail to it. Balancing the settings was challenging for this. It was bright in the kitchen so I had to keep a low ISO. In a numerous of attempts some came out too bright. I found being closer to the subject gave me better photos aesthetically. This was a zoomed in shot.




Image 5
                    Shutter 1/100. Aperture F/5.6. ISO 1600. 42mm.

This is a picture I took of a flower in my back garden. It was during a winter evening so it was getting dark outside. The sky wasn't as dark as the photo. The underexposure is mostly to do with the camera. What I love about this photo is the aesthetic of the flower petals. The yellow colour I feel, is very drawing to the eye. The underexposure really helps to bring attention to the bright colour. It was not bright outside so I had to increase the ISO as some shots came out almost dark. I widened the aperture to add more focus to the flower and to allow more light in. I worked in manual mode as I had more control with the exposure. I zoomed in and out of the shots until I was satisfied. 


                                      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lab 5 - Composition

Photographic Style Reflection